Tuesday, September 24, 2019

The Lost Boys...in 6th Grade

Hi readers!! I have noticed a trend over the past five or so years where many of my male students seem to be flailing as they try to navigate the traditional model of the school system.  Education was once was considered a privilege only afforded to boys, and girls were often overlooked and their learning considered inconsequential as they got older because their "rightful" place was considered to be at home. But to me at least, it seems the tide has turned and I find that my male students seem to constantly be at a loss in how to be successful in school. Despite working to include more movement in class, more hands on activities, inclusive reading material for all readers, I still find that many boys are just not able to be reached by today's school standards.  For a while I considered that it was just my subject area, ELA, (and still assume that this still plays at least a sizable part) but I asked my colleagues if they noticed this too, and I am not alone. 

Why I am writing this is two-fold.  First I want to inquire if others are seeing this trend elsewhere or if it is all in my mind, my district, or my class? ( Include resources if you have any!!)

Second, because my main objective is to get my students to invest in their independent reading, I am also hoping to get some current book suggestions that will hook these guys into reading.  Before you suggest titles here are some of my go to books/authors that are my tried and true: 
ANYTHING and ALL by Rick Riordan
Sports books by Mike Lupica and Tim Green
ALL of Jason Reynolds books
The Ranger's Apprentice series
Conspiracy 365 series
 Hunger Games series
Maze Runner series
DOWK books
Bone series
Amulet series
Also any books/series that are more suited to 4-5 grade level as I have many low readers this year.
Thank you so much for your thoughts, ideas, and book suggestions!!!
Lynn

No comments:

Post a Comment