Thursday, September 12, 2019

Sparrow

Disclaimer: One of the things that you should know about me right away is that I am constantly curious and looking for connections within my reading. I love to research topics I have never heard of, books I haven't read yet, poems, moments in history...you name it I want to find how it connects to the book that I am reading.  Out of all the things I love to look into, when books mention songs, bands, or lyrics I am immediately interested in how the song connects to the book and the moment in the book that it is connected to.

One of the best books that I read this summer was a book by Sarah Moon called Sparrow.  The book starts out with the main character, Sparrow, trying to explain to the doctors in the hospital that she really wasn't trying to kill herself, I was immediately hooked.

It turns out that Sparrow is actually just a very solitary girl who does not understand social interactions or how to make friends very easily.  She finds solace in books and she felt at least understood by her school librarian, Mrs. Wexler, who always gave her space and reading recommendations in her library.

Sparrow is also an only child and lives solely with her mother. They have a strong relationship and are best friends. But when Sparrow ends up in the hospital, her mother does not know how to react or treat Sparrow, and an uncomfortable distance settles in between them for the first time.

In order to be allowed out of the hospital, Sparrow has to agree to go to a therapist.  She believes she can outlast this woman and not speak to her for the duration of her visits, but once her therapist plays music that strikes a chord in Sparrow, she begins to take notice of the power that lyrics and beat can have on her connecting with herself and her emotions.

When she finally breaks slightly out of her shell,  she allows herself to be taken to a Rock-n-Roll camp for girls for two weeks  in the summer and Sparrow for the first time is forced to confront all of her old habits, realizes that people might actually be interested in her and that above all music brings people together.

As I mentioned in my opening paragraph, I love books with music mentioned, so you can imagine that with the extensive and eclectic playlist listed throughout this book, I was in book geek heaven. Perhaps there are not many of us out there who are as geeky as this, but if you are and you have read this book, then I have included a list of links, and lyrics below for you to follow along with as you read.
I have discovered that the music follows along perfectly and is a perfect mirror of her growth as she navigates through this book.
Enjoy!!

Pg. 39 The Pixies: Where is my Mind?  Lyrics 
This is the first song that breaks the barrier between Sparrow and Dr. Katz.  At the first moment that Sparrow hears this song she is fascinated by the screeching and the lyrics that seem to echo exactly what is running through her current state of mind. 

Pg. 49 The White Stripes get an honorable mention but no specific song (too bad for them I guess)

Pg. 49 The Alabama Shakes: I Don't Want to Fight    Lyrics

The lines: Take from my hand
                 put in your hands
                 The fruit of all my grief....These show that Sparrow is ready to start the journey of discovering how to help herself.

Pg. 80, 89, Patti Smith:  Pissing in a River      Lyrics
My thoughts on this is that this song comes about half-way through her journey of figuring herself out and she is relying on Dr. Katz to not let her down because she is so vulnerable.

Pg. 113 TV on the Radio: Happy Idiot: Song and Lyrics
Pg. 116 TV on the Radio: Wolf Like Me  Lyrics

Pg. 137 The Weaves: no specific song mentioned
Pg. 138 Elliott Smith: no specific song mentioned

Pg. 147 and 149 Betty Davis: They Say I'm Different  Lyrics
Pg. 172 Courtney Barnett: Dead Fox  Lyrics

Pg. 203 Nina Simone: Feeling Good: Song and Lyrics
Bird flyin' high, you know how I feel... 
Pg. 215 Janelle Monae: Q.U.E.E.N Song and Lyrics

Pg. 226 Nina Simone: Mississippi Goddam song and Lyrics

Pg. 245 Beyonce: Run the World Song and Lyrics
Pg. 251 Nina Simone: Here Comes the Sun: song and Lyrics

6 comments:

  1. I think that it is great that you took the time to find all the songs that connect to the story. I imagine that it helped you understand the book on a deeper level.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Listening to each song as they appeared and paying close attention to the lyrics really made me step into the experience of the main character.

      Delete
  2. I love the look of your blog! Here is a recommendation coming your way! I am currently in the middle of a really interesting YA book by a Maine author named Gillian French. I saw her speech at the MCELA conference last year and was super impressed. If you are looking for a new read and like mystery, I highly recommend it. It is titled Grit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great!!! I will check it out!! Thanks

      Delete
    2. I read Grit last year and loved it! Our library has Gillian French's other book A Door to January, and it's on my list this year, but I have a few others to get through first.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for this! I too love it when books mention music and I am able to create a soundtrack for the movie that I am making in my mind while reading. I haven't read this book, but it's now on my list and I am super excited to dig in!

    ReplyDelete